Monday, February 14, 2022

Experience Black Love: Ty's Blog

 

                                This is a guest blog by our current exhibiting artist Tykeisha Swan Patrick 
                        Experience Black Love on display at Perspective Gallery at VT Squires Student Center
                                                                        through March 5, 2022




Hello, my name is Tykeisha Swan Patrick, and I’m a freelance artist. I am also a wife and stay-at-home mother who enjoys outdoor activities, visiting family, and spending quality time at home with our fur babies.



Tug of War (Digital Illustration 2021)
   


This year I finally decided to take being an artist seriously and treat it as the career I’ve always wanted, no more excuses. My art is the best way to interpret my past, present, and future. As a self-taught artist, I have been on a mission to free up space in my mind from negative and traumatic experiences. I believe we fill up our heads with memories that stop us from pursuing our dreams, real or imagined. You are not alone! As I continue to grow, I find it best that my work does not remain the same, and I do not limit myself to one medium, style, or concept.


    Chalk drawing of childhood cartoon with son (2021)  


I mainly find inspiration in cartoons, specifically the 90’s era, and obsess over vibrant palette choices. Being creative has also become a way to connect with people through collaborative work such as book covers and illustrations, gallery pieces, business design, logos, and more.

 Experience Black Love Digital Collection (2021)

    


In this project, I created sentiment pieces from two perspectives, then and now. I wanted to bring about the positive aspects of Black History. The ones where we spent time together with our families, enjoying great foods and games that undoubtedly brought the funniest and most love felt experiences in our lives, the kind that highlights our spirits. I hope this brings back a spark in your memory that you may have felt was beyond traumatic to revisit and join yourself in finding some good in it. I find that it has brought great healing for me, not yet entirely, but enough to imagine a world filled with love and togetherness. 

 

 

Experience Black Love Exhibit Perspective Gallery, VT Squires Student Center

I hope my journey as an artist inspires other artists to chase their dreams and make their healing process a part of their business by simply doing what they love. Huge thanks to Perspective Gallery for providing the space needed for my work and being a part of my continuing growth.






No comments:

Post a Comment