Thursday, November 5, 2015

Cleaning My Brain

photo by Alison Flanagan SOVA class of 2016

Over and over again I have students who come by the gallery looking for a place to make art or show art that they have made during their "down" time...of which they all have very little of.

Perspective Gallery's programming works to provide places for students to make art. Our "Pop Up" events run by our Art Reach students are extremely popular, especially the table with art supplies that we set up in front of the gallery display cases. 


Pop Up  art gives our Virginia Tech students a place to "clean their brain" a paraphrase taken from a Talking Heads song titled  Artist's Only:
                                                           

                                                                  Let's go

                                             I'm painting, I'm painting again
                                             I'm painting, I'm painting again
                                             I'm cleaning, I'm cleaning again
                                          I'm cleaning, I'm cleaning my brain

                                              Pretty soon now, I will be bitter
                                              Pretty soon now, will be a quitter
                                              Pretty soon now, I will be bitter

                                             You can't see it 'til it's finished
                                        I don't have to prove that I am creative
                                        I don't have to prove that I am creative
                                             All my pictures are confused

                                          And now I'm going to take me to you;

                                                           Songwriters
                                         BYRNE, DAVID/ZIEVE, WAYNE
                                                          Published by
                                        Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.


Artwork for the  biennial exhibit titled, Make Your Mark (coined 

by SOVA  2015 graduate Clara Chan), was submitted by currently

enrolled students at Virginia Tech.  Students majoring in 

engineering, computer science, landscape architecture, visual arts, 

architecture, and music - submitted art.


You'll have to come by and see what exactly came out during the

"cleaning."  


Do it today...there is a reception at 5 p.m. and we'd love to see 

you.




-Robin Scully Boucher

 Art Program Director 


 VT Student Engagement and Campus Life 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment